Patient Recruitment During the Holidays, Part I
“Should we invest in patient recruitment during the holidays?"
This is perhaps one of the most frequently asked questions we get this time of year from our clinical research sponsors, CROs, and site clients. So, should you invest in specific recruitment tactics and should these tactics run through the holidays? Here at ClinEdge we have years of experience running campaigns throughout the year, and have weighed the pros and cons to help you make a more informed decision as we approach the peak of the holiday season.
- People have more free time. Think about it, this is the time of the year people are taking vacations, or are otherwise free of work, school and other obligations. This is a perfect time to target ideal candidates for your study.
- Potential patients are more likely to be searching for paid healthcare opportunities. This follows the point about users having more free time but it also opens the doors for those with more financial need to look at the options available.
- Perfect timing for awareness campaigns. Most families gather together to celebrate the holidays, usually with a dinner or party of some sort. This setting can facilitate word-of-mouth or online sharing of information among family members and friends.
- “New year, new you” mindset. The new year means new beginnings and the “new start” mindset may encourage follow-up on existing symptoms/conditions.
- Vacation usually means travel. People are traveling and may not be near home when seeing information on studies. Getting patients to commit to study visits during this season can be difficult.
- Highly competitive. Since most other industries are using ad dollars around this time, radio time slots or other traditional advertising slots are either taken or more expensive since it is a competitive time of the year.
Now that we have pin-pointed the most prominent pros and cons for patient recruitment, we also wanted to provide some insight from our own experience in recruiting patients this time of year.
There are many ways to improve your patient recruitment efforts. Utilizing a call center is one of them. Watch our webinar on call center and recruitment on-demand now: